Monday, May 12, 2008

Comment

This is a guest posting, so to speak. The writer is a one of my best and childhood friends who currently lives in Switzerland (love takes us to crazy places), after having lived in Denver for a while where she worked at the Denver Rescue Mission. She is smart, thoughtful, and honest, albeit a bit technicologically challenged. ha. I added the photos, which will probably make her chuckle. Here goes:


 Lauren,

Greetings, friend. How are you?  I wanted to let you know that I've read your entire blog and just wanted to say I think it's a cool project. It'sinteresting that your struggle seems to be fighting the fear of seeming prideful, like you have all the answers and can outline how to save the world on your website. It doesn't come across like that AT ALL. It actually sounds really humble-- a real person, albeit privileged, struggling with figuring out what her (or anyone's) role might be in the poverty predicament. Props for pondering it. 

I don't even get out of the thinking about things stage (much less to the action phase) because I'm too afraid of seeming like a hypocrite, even if well-intentioned. I wouldn't have had the courage to set up a blog like yours because I would have thought I was a hypocrite and would have been afraid that other people would think the same. Oh, cool-- another rich white girl with a catalogue-perfect looking little family (all that's missing is the golden retriever) singing the woes of the world from her ivory tower. Like, oh my god. Isn't it like, so terrible that people are like starving? You know what I mean? It's like totally tragic, you know? Let's like have a bake sale or something for them or maybe we could like, package up our leftovers from PF Chang's and mail those poor kids some food.... I'm so afraid of being criticized or of doing something wrong or useless that I don't do ANYTHING. Now in my mind I know that Jesus would probably smile
more on someone who tried to do something and perhaps failed, or worse, did damage, than someone who sat in the wings and did nothing. So , I repeat, props to you for starting the dialogue. It's the necessary first step. Hopefully it will eventually lead to some action, which I would presume is the ultimate and eventual goal. 

My family proposes serving at a soup kitchen as a family Christmas activity every year and every year I poo poo it because I think it's indirectly arrogant. I feel like if we don't do it all year and if caring for the poor isn't a part of our daily lives, then it's almost insulting to waltz in there on Christmas so that we can feel good about ourselves. I fear that I will do more harm than good because I think the people being served can sense the volunteers' motives and I think it's demeaning and insulting to them. 

Question: Is a deed "good" (or bad) because of 1) its results  2) its motive 3) both or 4) neither? An example:  Let's say I'm a rich politician. In order to get elected, I decide to build a homeless shelter even though I don't give a rat's ass about the people-- only my election. As a result,
hundreds of people are off the streets and have a hot meal at night. So, it was with an impure motive, and therefore, kind of tainted, but the result is good. What are we to think about a situation like this? What's the alternative? Is there one? Or, consider giving politically-motivated aid to foreign countries.  Wrong motives, but at the end of the day the people have some rice in their bowls.   

In my life right now, I'm trying to find the balance between principle and reality. I want to be a person of principle. I want to base my actions upon them. I think I would prefer to sleep on the street rather than take dirty charity from some slimeball politician (I say that now as I write on my
$1000 computer in my warm dry apartment....) 

The problem of poverty seems so big and so complex and therefore overwhelmingly untouchable. The roots are hopelessly entangled and every seeming solution has a pitfall. I can not speak for everyone, nor do I think it is the solution for everyone, but given my interests, gifts, and personality, I'm coming to see my role in the poverty problem as bottom-up as opposed to top-down. I might mentor, or "adopt" one family in my little town and hopefully that will make a difference. I know there's a need for lobbyists, politicians, shiploads of foods sent to foreign places, etc., but I see my role on a smaller scale.  That's one. And two, what's I'm really into at the moment is a) the idea and role of "community" and 2) local economy. Very oversimplified, the problem of poverty could be seen as the result of the breakdown of the local community and therefore the first step (not cure-all) in alleviation of poverty would be in the restoration of
community. 

When you have a minute, you might be interested to consider some excerpts from a collection of essays called THE ART OF THE COMMONPLACE by KY writer Wendell Berry, whose thoughts have been hugely influential in my life over the last year. I'm sure I want to pursue social work, but I often fear spinning my wheels in the wrong direction--being more a part of the problem
than the solution. As the result of reading some of his thoughts, I feel more convinced than ever of my current project: to develop a community garden project with the goals of naturally, providing a source of healthy, organic food, but also providing a social gathering place where people (for example of a certain apartment complex) can meet and work with their neighbors, hopefully fostering integration of marginianalized (ex: elderly, refugees, poor...) people.

If I could allow myself the liberty of reducing Berr'y thoughts to the "gist",  I would put it like this: As I understand it, he believes that most of society's problems that keep cropping up in the headlines (racial tension, the environment, crime, poverty, etc.) stem from the industrialization, urbanization, and globalization of the world.  He says we've got to stop tinkering away at these problems piecemeal with government programs or well-meaning social aid organizations--it's like pouring water solely on the leaves of a plant instead of its roots.  Everything is connected. The environment affects the economy(not to mention health, happiness...)  If the economy is bad, there is usually more crime as people get more desperate. And on and on. 

Take a common headline for example: Crime. He looks at crime as the result of the breakdown of community. Before, people lived in small communities where everyone knew each other. For one, you're less likely to wrong your neighbor because you actually know him and also, you probably depend on him for some reason or another (he's the butcher, the baker, the candlestick
maker, etc.) and if you murder him or steal his cow, you won't have anything to eat yourself. Additionally, if you're up to no good, Aunt Lulu down the road is going to see you and tell your family and you'll be ashamed and held accountable. 

Nowadays, we live in highrise apartments where we know no one and no one knows us. It's psychologically much easier to steal when you're taking "that guy's" TV instead of "Ole Farmer Joe's" TV and even if you get caught, it's just something written in a folder in a filing cabinet-- you never have to face the people you wronged- never have to apologize or make amends. 

Same for environment. We're so mobile these days, flitting in and out of different towns that we never have to face the consequences of our actions on the local community. If my condo is built on the last green space in town, or if the local school isn't very good, who cares? When I get that promotion next month, me and hubby are moving to the next best suburb and they have better parks and nicer schools... Point being, when you are rooted somewhere, and when there is a local economy instead of chain stores and
restaurants, you are more likely to have relationships to your neighbors and are more likely to get politically and environmentally involved since whatever happens directly affects you and the future generations of your family. 

It sounds all hippy happy-go-lucky and simplistic, but it makes sense to me that a community naturally lends itself to taking care of its members and its surrounding environment much as the Acts church model. We shouldn't need social welfare programs if we had any decent communities.  So Joe Smith lost his job and is down on his luck.  People cook for hum, babysit his kids, lend him a car, etc. until he's back on his feet. He's thankful for their help and support and there isn't much danger that he will abuse or take
advantage of their help because they have a relationship and he knows that while their help is gladly given, it has its limits and he's expected to carry his own weight again.  Then he'll be the one helping the next guy who falls into the same situation. Now instead,  when Joe's getting someanonymous check in the mail every month, 1) what motivation does he have to look for a job? There's no embarrassment. He's not putting anybody out.
He'll keep drawing that check as long as it keeps coming. 2) What chance does he  have to get out of the welfare trap even if he wanted to? He can't make something out of nothing. He can't magically find the skills or motivation to do that if he doesn't have them to begin with-- He needs the example, push, and interdependence on his neighbors and family. 

So I guess that was more than the "gist." Got a little carried away there. The bottom line is that instead of trying to imagine the perfect cure-all for world poverty (or any of the other big problems of our time), we'd be far better off, and lots of the problems (like the environment or crime) would probably resolve themselves en suite, if we would work to reestablish a local economy (so that everyone has a job suitable to the environment in which he lives and isn't dependant on a fickle global market,) and foster a sense of community with those around us.  

Some of Berry's thoughts (hopefully still interesting even though they've been taken out of their original context):

(Religion) It has encouraged people to believe that the world is of no importance, and that their only obligation in it is to submit to certain churchly forumulas in order to get to Heaven.  And so the people who might have been expected to care most selflessly for the world have had their
minds turned elsewhere-to a pursuit of "salvation" that was really only another form of gluttony and self-love, the desire to perpetuate their lives beyond the life of the world.a man, while pursuing Heaven with the sublime appetite he thought of as his soul, could turn his heart against his neighbors and his hands against the world.  
----------------------
Once the revolution of exploitation is under way, statesmanship and craftsmanship are gradually replaced by salesmanship (the craft of persuading people to buy what they do not need, and do not want, for more than it is worth).  Its stock in trade in politics is to sell despotism and avarice as freedom and democracy.  In business it sells sham and frustration as luxury and satisfaction.  The constantly expanding market.is still expanding-no longer so much by expansions of territory or population, but by the calculated outdating, outmoding, and degradation of goods and by the
hysterical self-dissatisfaction of consumers that is indigenous to an expoitive economy. 
-------------------------
We do not have a working concept of economic justice.  We ae resigned to the poor principle that people earn what they earn by power, not by the quality or usefulness of their work.  Insurance executives, doctors, lawyers, mechanics, factory workers, and garbage collectors all earn in proportion to their power. People such as small farmers who have no power must resign
themselves to earning what they can get. 

In such a society our private economies will depend less and less upon the private owenership of real, usable property, and more and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurane policies, CD's, stocks.And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community
life will be subplanted by a kind of displaced or placeless citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers.


Guess that ought to do it for now! If creating dialogue is you goal, then there's 5 pages of dialogue for you from someone who is equally concerned and equally lost as you!

PS-At time of writing, the last entry I had read is For Love of Jimmy. Just checked your site again. See now that you have Acts on there, and I saw the world "community" while I was skimming just now.  Great minds think alike! Will catch up on your blog now. Some of what I wrote may be redundant but it's cool we were on the same wavelength without knowing it

4 comments:

Lauren Mayfield said...

In regards to the ontological/teleological question at the beginning of the post: is it better to give with pure motives and not accomplish as much or give more with impure motives, I don't know. I don't think that was the exact question, but something like it right? I think God can use both offerings. Somewhere in the OT, maybe 1 Samuel there is a woman, maybe Queen Sheba (??-I really should have looked it up before typing this) whose people are under attack. The attack is led by one person. So everyone is afraid of him. She does the deed herself--leave it to the women! She kills the enemy so that all of her people will not be killed. Yet, she does so knowing it's wrong to kill. On the other hand, Martin Luther King disagreed with Malcom X on the use of violence. He was still able to accomplish A LOT sticking to his convictions!

So, I think it's an age old question. And not to dismiss it, but it's one that I'm too afraid to tackle--on an intellectual, philosphical, and even an emtional level. Sort of a way of dismissing it (ha), I have decided to let God handle that one until I'm more ready for it.

And later in the post you talk about our inability to be sustainable because we are always wanting bigger and better everything. I agree. And like you, with Berry's help noted, it's a complex problem with more than one answer. It's the part of this exercice/blog that plagues me. I'm beginning to touch the tip of just how huge this iceburg of global poverty really is. And before it overtakes the world and we all freeze to death (not likely with global warming) I can't help but think that the Acts model you mentioned and speculated as "hippy, happy-go-lucky" isn't that at all, nor are efforts to be in authentic community today.

First century churches were chock-full of their problems, many (most) of them financial ones. But one thing seemed to really work well for them: sharing their resources. We would do well to take that a bit more seriously in our own churches and lifestyles. Again, a difficult task when we live in highrises and isolated suburbs.

Thanks for your thoughts, Friend. I value your insights, and each time I read this post I am struck by a completely new idea that you've mentioned. Thank you for your honesty. It challenges me.

Roger Peterman For City Council said...

There is a church in North Carolina that is living out Berry's ideas in much the same way that Katie has mentioned, see this article http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/312

Roger Peterman For City Council said...

Hey Katie and Lauren,

I was reading your letter, Katie, on Lauren's blog. All of your questions and thoughts are the exact same things that people talk about at Duke Divinity. Actually, Wendell Berry was the speaker for their annual Convocation and Pastor's School in October that I attended. AND, Norma Wirzba, who is a close cohort of Berry's and edited the book you mentioned, is coming to Duke as faculty this summer (see link).

And furthermore, there is a church called Cedar Grove UMC that is doing what you said you want to do with the community garden: http://www.anathothgarden.org/. I don't know if you can quite tell from the website about the fostering of integration, but the garden was started after there was a murder in a bait store in the town: here is the story in an article written by a guy I know from Div School.

They also did an interview on NPR-WUNC, here is the link, but I actually had trouble finding how to listen to it, but maybe you can. Or maybe you have to find it on itunes or something.

I am sorry that I have just now gotten on board with the blog. I sent Josh your question about motives vs. actions. I know that he has very strong views about motives not mattering--just actions-- (due to his studying under Stanley Hauerwas) but I will allow him to articulate it and then forward it to you. May even post it on the blog!

Lauren, what a great conversation that blog is!! I am sorry that I found it at the end of your semester and could not contribute earlier. I read the last five posts, and hope to read more.

Love,
Tina

KDJ said...

I'm not sure if this blog is still happening. At any rate, my hours spent in Wendell and political ecology text books call for me to say something.

Having lived in Los Angeles for almost a year now I find community and the art of the common place to be nearly unfathomable. As a result, I rely less on the attractive lives of benedictine monks brewing whiskey and more on family as a source for community. Either avenue proves me an introvert and incapable of Berry's community in some sense. I wrestle with this in the form of psychology and sociology. Sociology, albeit the easiest major in college, may be more vital in the small farmer's navigation of globalization than anything else. However, political ecology remains the avenue by which I see the most hope (party because many political ecologist are sociologists by training.)

With that said (which isn't much of anything) I believe family to be the stronghold in a shrinking world. Eight or nine generations from now may see the return to agro-community living. But for now we are stuck doing patch work. Hence, spend more time with family is my creed. All of my research will be based on this. Until mother's are the basis of all our economics/policies we will continue to destroy. Port Royal, Berry's current home, and Port William, his imagined community, are a long way away from the 100,000 immigrants a month into Shanghai. And so I spend time with my family. My idealism would be preached best when proclaiming for all level headed, aware people to find some family and offer family to those who don't have it. Let the Jeffrey Sach's and Bono's of the world have their platform. Politely disagree with their tactics by spending time with your family. And if you are close enough by, do it in Katie's community garden.