Monday, July 14, 2008

New Monasticism

I am gathering thoughts from friends regarding this new movement of doing and being church. If you have anything to add to the conversation please feel free to comment. I might not get anything...that's okay. I am working on my own response to it all, which will be my next post. I promised in an earlier blog that I'd share my beefs about Shane, and while they're mellowing out, I'm currently reading a new book (note the pic) about New Monasticism that's quite intriguing. It sparked a new spiritual quickening in me while I was in the Claremont library the other day. But then my phone started blasting her Back Street Boys ringtone, which not only pierced the quite of the summertime library (read: I'm the only nerd alert who was in there) but it interupted my pastoral contemplations and aspirations. So more to come, but in the meantime, please tell me what you've read and are thinking about it. Gracias.

P.S. Here is an interesting article about it from one of my favorite sites.

P.P.S. And here is an article about it from the Christian Century.

P.P.P.S. Krista Tippet has a few podcasts on the movement (easliy found through itunes) on her NPR show, "Speaking of Faith."

3 comments:

Chris Spinks said...

Lauren,

I just so happen to work with a lot of members of a New Monastic community here in Eugene. One of the owners of Wipf & Stock is a founding member of the 20+-year-old church. It is one of the communities profiled in the Christian Century article. Gail and I have participated in several of their events and worship gatherings. If you guys ever make your way up to Eugene, I am sure I could get you into one of their hospitality rooms (each community house maintains a hospitality room, since hospitality is a central part of their life). It is a fascinating and wonderful group of people, but Gail and I are not prepared to marry our family to 30+ people ("marriage" is an image often used to describe the commitment members make). We are sort of "godfearers" or "intentional neighbors."

Also, you should keep an eye on one of our series, the New Monastic Library.

Anonymous said...

wedding pictures will come soon. I haven't collected them all yet. We went to Vegas straight from the beach and just got home yesterday. How was ya'lls time in KY and AL?

Lisa said...

Hey Lauren!

Great blog. Its a wonderful resource. I'm hooked.

I've met Mr Wilson Hartgrove on occasion as he's often around the div school and the house has open dinners which we've attended at times.

A couple of books to recommend, which I'm sure you already know about. A trio(now that I think about it)actually, of former Hauerwas students .

Kelly Johnson's Fear of Beggars is an investigation of poverty in light of the long Christian tradition of positive evaluations of poverty - basically most of the religious orders. Her hero is Peter Maurin, co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement.

D. Stephen Long's Divine Economy is by far the most "top-down" and theoretical work I've found on the topic. But its an education in economic theory if you make it through. It surveys and critiques Liberalism and Marxism and offers its own economic proposal. The book is in the Radical Orthodoxy series.

William T Cavanaugh just published Being Consumed: Economics and Christian desire and focuses on specific examples of local economic alternatives. This is a great book. In 100 short pages he deals in four chapters with the market, consumerism, globalization and scarcity from a Eucharistic perspective.


Peace!

C