Monday, April 21, 2008

The 11th Hour

This is a trailer for the film, The 11th Hour, which was released sometime in late 2007. Did anyone see it? Granted, the writing behind it is a bit cheesy at points, but the message 
is clear. It's narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio and speaks to the environmental horrors that are left in the wake of our environmental and cultural footprints. However, I want to see this film because it looks like it speaks well to the idea of our need for new and creative design in all aspects. We need new technologies to save us from dependence on oil, over consumption 
of all natural resources, among other travesties. What is more, the film addresses the possible 
massive quantities of environmental refugees the world can expect to encounter if we do not 
begin changing our ways and living less excessively. Again, I think good design can help us see 
this more clearly, along with films such as this. If we are going to completely change this world,
and I would like to argue, save this world, like the film claims our generation has the power to do, 
first we need to acknowledge and embrace all of the issues that are currently at stake, and then 
we need to begin accepting all of the new designs that will enable us to either heal the damage 
or begin treading along new and uncharted paths of responsible living (read: caring more for 
others and consuming less junk in the meantime).



I'm still trying to figure my way around this website, but it looks fascinating. It's about
normal and professional designers working together to create dialgue about how and why
we should call upon design to begin changing the world for the better.

1 comment:

Lauren Mayfield said...

Can anyone tell me what is going on with my blog? The last three posts I've done have either been half erased or totally maligned in the font. Does Blogger has a screw loose or what? I need help, with my blog that is.